Best of 2013
As the sun sets on another year, there are lots of endings and new beginnings taking place around us. The crows have left their nest in the leopard tree and it’s been taken over by a family of blue jays. The currawongs have brought their young ones around and managed to out-maneuvre the kookaburras, who were looking to stake out our gum trees as their territory. And the spangled drongos have been chattering incessantly and ruffling a few shiny black feathers in their pursuit of the best lady… I’m always amazed at how much wildlife there is so close to the centre of a city that’s also home to more than one million people!
There are ups and downs to every year, but on balance 2013 has been a good one for me – a big thank you to everyone who’s taken an interest in my little corner of the world along the way. I hope 2014 brings you good health and happiness – and it’s everything you’d like it to be!
Here are a few of my favourite things from 2013.
Top 5 vintage fabrics
1. Park scene barkcloth – this was by far and away the most amazing fabric I came across this year, and it made the best floor cushions!
Top 5 contemporary fabrics
While I’ve always got an eye out for special vintage fabrics, there were some gems from contemporary designers this year too.
1. Charley Harper anything, but this Red Eyed Vireo fabric was my favourite.
Top 5 vintage sewing patterns
It’s very hard choosing my favourite patterns from Saturday Special this year, but here goes…
1. McCall 7198
2. Vogue 8725
On high rotation on the Touch Wood Design stereo
1. BBC radio – I don’t know what I’d do without my digital radio in the sewing room!
2. Tommy Guerrero – No Man’s Land. Laidback, groovy, mostly instrumental tunes by an ex-pro skater.
3. Depeche Mode – Delta Machine. I think I wore this one out! Everyone needs some cheesy pop from time to time…
4. Calexico – Algiers. Tex-Mex, alt-pop, country and folk all rolled into one fantastic band.
5. Olafur Arnalds – For Now I Am Winter. There’s nothing quite like icy Icelandic electro to make you feel like you’re somewhere else.
Top 5 cushions of 2013
It’s always interesting to see which cushions end up being the bestsellers!
1. Blue/cream stripe with red piping cushion
Hope you enjoyed the wrap-up. I’ll see you in 2014!
Entry filed under: Cushions, Fabrics, Inspiration, Pretty Things, Sewing patterns. Tags: 1960s daisies, 2013, abstract woodland barkcloth, aloha girls cushion, atomic asterisks, atomic martini cushion, atomic mobiles, Australian desert pea stamp cushion, BBC radio, best of 2013, blue stripey cushions, boomerang barkcloth, Butterick 4788, Butterick 8615, Butterick 9826, Calexico, charley harper fabric, Depeche Mode, Estonian swallow stamp cushion, Heather Ross frog pond, hills and pebbles fabric, Kokka Japanese beetles, McCall 7198, Olafur Arnalds, park scene barkcloth, sunset, Tommy Guerrero, vintage barkcloth, Vogue 8725.