Posts filed under ‘DIY projects’

Sweet tooth

Yes, this caramel fudge is as delicious as it looks! The recipe I used is an Ekka award winning one – here it is because I know you’ll want to make some!

Place 120g butter, 1 cup caster sugar, 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 2tblsp golden syrup in a frying pan. Stir constantly (no walking away!) over low/medium heat for 30 minutes or until it goes a lovely gingerbread colour and has the consistency of wet sand. Pour into a lined baking tray and leave on the bench to cool for a few hours. Cut into delicious bite-sized pieces.

Caramel fudge

September 9, 2015 at 11:34 am 1 comment

On the road again

Still working on those African postage stamp cushion designs, but I took some time out this week to make another car softie. This one’s based on a Japanese car – the Nissan 300zx. Hopefully it makes a little man very happy!

300zx car softie

April 28, 2015 at 9:21 am Leave a comment

A soft spot

In between planning my next stamp cushion series, I’ve been distracted by a few other projects… including this hotrod softie! Hopefully there’ll be a little man who’s pleased with his first car!

Hotrod softie

April 1, 2015 at 9:29 am Leave a comment

Lime overdose

In the past week I’ve been given two batches of homegrown limes from friends with more fruit than they can handle, so we’ve been having lime everything! In the process, I tried a new twist on an old recipe and it turned out so well I had to share – after I’d eaten two of these lime and poppyseed muffins straight out of the oven, of course!

Here’s the recipe… Melt 125 grams of butter with half a cup of sugar. Mix in the rind and juice of one large lime. Add two eggs and beat well. In a separate bowl, mix two tablespoons of poppyseeds with two cups of self-raising flour. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then place the mixture into a muffin tray. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Yum!

Lime and poppyseed muffins

June 30, 2014 at 10:23 am Leave a comment

DIY – fabric diary cover

With the advent of the new year, I’ve made another fabric diary cover – but not the double-sided tape number I had for 2012. This time I created a book cover like the ones my Mum used to make for my exercise books at school.

It was so quick and easy to make I thought I’d share it. I would recommend using a hardcover diary or notebook with a spiral spine for this project.

First place the diary open on the fabric and using a pencil on the wrong side of the fabric draw a guide line for cutting, allowing 2cm at the top and bottom, and 6cm on the left and right. Drawing a guide line makes it really easy to cut the fabric out straight without taking the time to create a paper pattern.

Diary cover1

Next, pin a hem around all edges of the fabric – folding the fabric over 0.5cm and then 1cm.

Diary cover2

I hemmed the top and bottom, then did the sides separately, but you could pin and sew all sides at once if you wanted to.

Diary cover3

I sewed the hems just less than 1cm away from the edge of the fabric.

Diary cover4

Once all sides are hemmed, fold the fabric over your diary and tuck the extra bits on the left and the right over the front and back covers by an equal amount – for my project this was about 3cm, but this will vary depending on the thickness of your diary. Pinch the fabric to make a fold or measure the amount that you’ve folded inside the diary.

Two things to note here. It’s important to do this step with the diary closed – if the diary is open, there won’t be enough ‘give’ in your cover for the diary to close properly. Also, at this point it looks like you’ve made the cover too large as it hangs over the top and bottom. Don’t worry – this isn’t a mistake! The extra length is so you can sew flaps to tuck the diary into.

Diary cover5

Pin the fabric where you folded it to create the two flaps that you’ll tuck the front and back covers into.

Diary cover6

Once you’ve pinned the flaps, pop the diary inside to make sure you’ve got a snug fit.

Diary cover7

Next, sew where you’ve pinned. For my project, this was about 0.5cm away from the edge of the fabric.

Diary cover8

Taaadaaa! Your diary cover is done.

Diary cover9

January 2, 2013 at 8:03 am Leave a comment


Subscribe

 Subscribe

Receive Touch Wood Design posts by email.